Blinking is a constant unconditioned reflex, vital for a person to maintain a normal body condition. The reflex is not controlled by our consciousness, it is carried out automatically, by itself. Thanks to blinking, the teardrop is evenly distributed over the surface of the eye, preventing the drying of the cornea. During the movement of the eyelids, small particles are removed from the eyes, causing irritation, cleansing occurs.
Why this happens
In addition to the fact that blinking helps cleanse the eyes of dust and dirt, it also performs a psychological function. Blinking occurs subconsciously to give a breather to our brain, turning off visual signals, and concentrate attention. A group of Japanese scientists recently conducted a study and proved that a person, quickly closing his eyes, focuses better on the environment, successfully collected his thoughts. They were prompted by this idea that the moment of blinking is quite predictable. In everyday life we blink in such cases:
- When reading the text - at the end of the sentence.
- When talking - when the speaker pauses between statements.
- When watching a video - when the expected action is delayed for some time.
Causes of obsessive blinking
Normally, a person blinks every 4 seconds. If a child has more than 20 blinks per minute, this should alert the parents. Frequent blinking is mostly complained to by parents of children aged 2 to 5 years, although similar pathology is found in adolescents. The causes of frequent blinking of the eyes in a child are varied, it is sometimes difficult to determine with them without the help of a specialist:
- Visual acuity disorder .To obsessive blinking, and even to an unexpected drop in vision, the child is subjected to exorbitant loads on the eyes. Symptom of the disease is a noticeable squint, and in some cases even closing eyes when trying to sharpen the object. If you noticed this phenomenon in your baby, do not try to answer the question yourself why the child often blinks and frowns, and immediately show it to the oculist to check the visual acuity and correction of the diopters.
- Dry eyes .If the child often blinks, while closing his eyelids tightly and permanently, most likely, his cornea dries up. You should buy special moisturizing drops. In this case, parents should significantly shorten the time of watching TV, the child's stay at the computer, because with a long-chained look, the number of blinkers per minute decreases significantly, this leads to dryness and unpleasant sensations in the eye.
- Eye strain .If in an organism any organ is in a long time in a strain and to it do not give time for restoration, it malfunctions. The same happens with the eyes of the child. Large loads in class, large homework, a long stay at the TV, computer or tablet lead to overexertion of the eyes, headache, cause excessive blinking. Arrange the child to walk in the fresh air, accustom to active rest.
- Corneal damage .Frequent obsessive blinking occurs when foreign bodies get on the cornea: dust, villi, other small particles. Microtrauma of the eye leads to reddening, lacrimation, dysfunction of vision. There are cases when one eye received an injury, and blinking was observed in both. It is necessary to show the doctor to the ophthalmologist as soon as possible in order to extract the stimulus, after which the vision will be restored.
- Blepharitis .Frequent blinking, itchy reddened and swollen eyelids, rubbing the eyes with their hands speaks of the symptoms of blepharitis in the child. To establish the exact diagnosis the doctor will help. In the field of the eyelids soreness appears, the child's sleep, appetite deteriorates, he becomes moody, often crying. Blepharitis creates the sensation of a foreign body in the eye, so the child constantly rubs his eyes, blinks for centuries. Even after complete cure for blepharitis, blinking sometimes does not go away and appears as a residual phenomenon.
- Allergy. Bringing house flowers to the house, or planting pets, we sometimes do not think that the pollen or the coat of a pet can cause an allergic reaction in children. Pollen of plants, penetrating the body through the skin and lungs, leads to allergies. A poisonous juice, getting on the mucous membrane of the eyes, causes severe itching, burning, tearing, blinking.
- Blepharospasm .A strong spasm of the muscles surrounding the eye causes involuntary blinking, dense, prolonged closing of the eyelids. It appears as a symptom of some diseases of the cornea: tuberculosis-allergic keratoconjunctivitis, trichiasis, "dry" keratoconjunctivitis. Photophobia and convulsive contraction of the eyelids even lead to their stagnant edema.
- Tiki .The cause of frequent blinking in children can be involuntary contraction of facial muscles, the so-called nervous tics. Parents they should signal about deviations in the nervous system of the child. It should be with the help of a neurologist to identify the cause of the appearance of a tick and determine the treatment.
Teeth from children
We do not think about nervous tics until we, or our child, are obsessed with recurrent, recurring, involuntary muscle spasms. They are so natural that it is difficult to distinguish the purposeful movements of muscles from tics. It should be borne in mind that a tick is a disease that is of a neurological nature. It manifests itself in the form of blinking one or two eyes.
- Psychogenic .Any psychological trauma or stress can cause a nervous tic in a child. For example, a quarrel between parents, the upcoming exam, too high demands from adults, a sense of uselessness and loneliness, are all factors that cause increased excitability and tension of the nervous system.
- Symptomatic .After previous viral, eye diseases, craniocerebral or birth traumas, as well as in children suffering from oncological diseases, brain ischemia, nervous tics arise. Consideration should be given to the ration of the child. Children begin to blink often, in a diet which lacks calcium, magnesium and glycine.
- Hereditary .This neurological disorder, like Tourette's syndrome, in which a variety of tics occur - motor, vocal and mechanical, is inherited. If the teak blinking was present in any of the family members in previous generations, there is a likelihood that the child will be ill.
How to get rid of an eye tic in a child
For successful treatment of frequent eye blinking due to a nervous tic, it is necessary to first identify and eliminate the cause that triggers the onset of the disease. If this is a psychogenic factor, you should take the child out of an unfavorable environment and create a comfortable living environment for him. If the cause of frequent blinking in a somatic abnormality, do your best to cure the ailment. Make sure that the baby observes the regime of the day, took food on time and went to bed, do not allow the slightest overload of the body.
A huge role in the treatment of nerve tics is played by family psychotherapy. It helps to identify the traumatic factor and fight it. It is useful in well-to-do families, where harmony in relationships reigns. Loving parents should understand that a kind, sensitive attitude, affectionate word, hug, kiss, familiarizing the child with any joint activity( cleaning the yard, planting flowers, preparing food) are the best helpers in the fight against the disease.
Specialists are individual and group psychological correction of tics.
- Individual work with a sick child assumes the purposeful development of certain areas of the child's mind - attention, memory, perception, etc. With the help of various psychological techniques, internal tension and anxiety in children with teak phenomena are eliminated, self-esteem is regulated.
- Group classes teach the child to communicate and act correctly in conflict situations, which reduces the risk of exacerbating the tick.
If all of the above methods have not brought good luck, it is recommended to consult a neurologist to prescribe medication to a child. The kid is prescribed antidepressants( phenibut, zoloft, paxil), muscle relaxing drugs( thiapridal, teralene).If necessary, vascular, nootropic drugs, vitamins are connected. Medications are taken within 6 months after the disappearance of tics.