What is it that any traditional oriental meal does? Of course, without special sticks for sushi. It is an inalienable attribute of any national cuisine of Japan, China, Korea or Vietnam. Before we learn how to eat chopsticks, we suggest that you get acquainted with the origins of the centuries-old tradition and understand the significance of using such sticks in oriental etiquette.
- 1 What are sushi and rolls
- 2 Who invented using chopsticks: interesting historicalFacts
- 3 3 3
- m restaurant
- 7 Crafts from chopsticks for sushi
What is sushi and rolls
Let's find out some of the features of traditional Asian dishes. Sushi is an elongated strip of cooked rice, covered with seafood and bound with stripes of algae. Rolls are a kind of sushi. They are made from layers of avocado, glutinous rice, cucumber and other ingredients. All components are laid out on a leaf of algae in layers and twisted into a roll.
And do you know what sushi sticks are called? This traditional cutlery is called Hasi .With their help they eat fish, meat dishes, as well as noodles, rice and soups. Initially, the sticks were made from ivory, wood, metal and ivory. Currently, this cutlery is made of plastic or wood.
Advice! Rolls are turned inside out, in the form of a mosaic and with the addition of various ingredients.
Who invented the use of chopsticks: interesting historical facts
Chinese archaeologists say that such sticks were used more than three thousand years ago and they first appeared in China. This way of eating food invented by the Emperor Yu in ancient times, which, with two branches, pulled out a piece of meat from a boiling cauldron. At the same time he managed not to scald the hands.
In Japan, Hasi were borrowed from China somewhere in 300 AD.At the very beginning they were made like forceps.
Wands have long been used as a gift, which symbolizes longevity and prosperity. In addition, this subject in Japan is considered a personal thing, and the Japanese do not eat other people's cutlery.
Interestingly, in the 17th century, the sticks were made from silver to determine if there was a poison in the food. In those days, malicious use of arsenic, after contact with which silver changed its color.
Advice! It is believed that teaching children skills to handle chopsticks from a small age develops small motor skills, which, in turn, affects mental abilities.
Versions of the
Before you learn how to eat sushi with chopsticks, you need to identify what kinds of this unusual cutlery exist. They may differ depending on the country where they are used:
- In China, disposable bamboo sticks are used. They have square bases, and their length is about 25 cm. They are often made of plastic, metal or animal bones. In this country they are called kuaizi.
- In Japan, such cutlery is called Hasi. They are shorter than Chinese and have a more acute form. Plates in this country are brought to the mouth and therefore long instruments are not needed. And the wands differ in purpose. For holidays, sweets and tea, different products are provided.
- Korean sticks or Chokkarak shorter and made of metal. Previously, brass was used, and now stainless steel. They are difficult to use, as food slips through the metal.
- The Vietnamese products are wider and longer.
There are also Nuribasi, which are reusable devices. They are made of stainless steel, and also from precious metals, crystal, wood and plastic.
Varibasi are disposable food devices. They are sold in a sealed form. They are made of wood and bonded together, which serves as a guarantee that no one has used them.
In a separate view, it is worth highlighting also sticks from cryptometry. This is such a cedar. They are made with a pointed end. Hasi from ordinary cedar have tapering from both sides. They are suitable for meat and fish dishes.
Gon Fai are the common sticks with which food is transferred on plates.
Devices for cooking often have a length of up to 30-50 cm. With their help, the products are mixed in a deep dish.
In Japan, even special sticks are made, which are only for certain holidays. For example, for the New Year.
For table devices in Japan, there are special supports hasyoki. On them the stick is laid with a thin end, so that it is turned to the left. If there are no such supports, then the instruments are placed on the table or on the edge of the plate.
Similar supports are made of wood, bamboo or ceramics. In European countries, such dishes are even collected, as there are especially valuable items.
Advice! Wooden products are made from such types of wood as pine, cypress, sandalwood, plum and bamboo. Some devices are encrusted with precious stones, as well as decorated with ornaments and hieroglyphics.
How to hold the sticks
Let's figure out how to properly hold the sticks for sushi. Here are the basic rules how to keep them:
- With your little finger and an unnamed finger, create a base for supporting the rods. To do this, they need to be pressed, and the lower fingers slightly stretch.
- Thick upper end of the stick is placed under the thumb. In this case, the opposite edge should be based on the middle.
- The index finger is placed under the thick end of the upper stick. The thumb should fix the object on the index finger.
During the meal, the lower stick does not move, and with the help of the upper one, food is captured. Thus the brush should be relaxed. The hand can not be strained. To move the tips of the devices you need to bend and unbend the middle and index fingers of your hands. Before using sticks, you can practice on smaller objects.
Advice! Sushi is often served with green tea or sake. And sake is drunk before a meal, and green tea is consumed during a meal. It allows you to remove the aftertaste of the previous dish. It is considered improper to add drinks to yourself.
How to use the varibasi
Also let's find out how to use disposable chopsticks for sushi. It's not that hard. One stick is fixed on the bend of the ring finger, and its continuation is pressed against the notch between the forefinger and the thumb. In this case, the second device should be clasped like a pencil. Then the fingers need to be moved to the thick ends and pull them down. During food, you need to move the stick-pencil, and keep the second in a fixed state.
Advice! Devices sharpened from both sides, used for meat and fish. They eat as well as disposable.
. How to use special and children's rods.
. For children, they make special joint sticks that have a mini holder. At the same time, they should be taken as tweezers, and the food should be taken using the middle finger adjustment.
There are also special sticks connecting in the middle or at the ends. When joining at the ends, keep them should be like tweezers, and when fixing in the middle, like a clothespin.
Tip! Do not abuse pickled ginger, wasabi or soy sauces. These products have a rich taste, which in large quantities interrupts the taste of other dishes.
As there are chopsticks different dishes
There are certain rules that apply to different dishes. Even if you already know how to use chopsticks, then you need to know about other recommendations, how to properly eat sushi. So, let's go by some rules:
- Rolls and sushi are not divided into pieces, but eat whole.
- The meal begins with dishes that are wrapped in a noria.
- Before the meal roll should be dipped in soy sauce, but only half.
- To add spice, add a little wasabi.
An important property of rice for making sushi is stickiness. Such a rice is getting tougher. Dried brown seaweed is added to it. Norias are thin plates of fried algae. They are used for wrapping rolls, temaki and different types of land. Such seaweed is grown specially. Then they are pressed into rectangles and dried under the sun's rays. Sometimes, instead of nori, a tamago or a thin omelet is used.
. As a filling for sushi, fish such as salmon, herring and tuna are used. Caviar, various vegetables, cheese and even eggs are also used.
Chopsticks eat and noodles. Most often it is wound on a fork the same way as spaghetti. But in the eastern culture it is not done that way, and a few noodles are clinging to hasi. If soup with noodles, then at first the thicket is eaten, and then broth is drunk.
Rice is eaten in much the same way as noodles and rolls. To get a better grip, add a little soy sauce to it.
By the way, wasabi is added to the sauce, it does not smear over the sushi. Soy sauce is first offered to guests, and then poured into itself. Plate for sauce should be kept in the left hand.
Tip! An important point, which side to dip the sushi into soy sauce. It is recommended to dunk the top side or fish. There are kinds of sushi that are eaten without sauce.
Rules of conduct and etiquette in the Japanese restaurant
For a couple of millennia the culture of the food ritual with chopsticks has grown with a lot of traditions. They differ from one nationality to another, but there are similarities.
You can take, add or mix food with chopsticks, and all other actions are not welcome. It is better to learn about the rules of behavior in advance. Here are some of them:
- You can not pin a meal on a stick or stick it into a plate.
- You can not touch the food.
- It is forbidden to knock appliances on the dishes to attract attention of the waiter.
- It is considered indecent to spread back already taken from the plate piece.
- You do not need to lick your wands or swing them.
- Do not install in a vertical position, because in this way put scented candles for the dead.
- You can not shift with sticks and food from one vessel to another.
By the way, the wands clenched in the fist are a sign of a threat. Also, do not cool the products, shaking them in sticks. Do not put your face too low on the plate or bring it too close to your face. Do not put food devices and across the cup. After the meal they are put on a stand.
Most often, such a meal served green tea. He pours into the kettle, and from it each of the guests fills his cup.
Men can eat sushi and hands.
Tip! Ginger helps to eliminate the taste of the dish in the mouth before a new piece of .
Crafts from chopsticks for sushi
If you love sushi, you can not throw sticks after use, and make them the wonderful crafts made of sticks for sushi.
You can try to create such products:
- Beautiful and practical solution - stand for jewelery. For gluing, you can apply a hot glue solution, as well as glue the moment or the composition for the tree.
- With the help of a large number of sticks, you can beautifully decorate the mirror in the form of a sun. First, long beams are placed, and then shorter ones. Long elements can be made by joining two sticks with glue. In this case it is important to find a harmonious symmetry. The finished product can be painted.
- Follow luxury stand under the dishes, but it is important to leave a gap of 4-5 mm between the elements.
- You can cut quality knitting needles from wooden appliances.
- With these tools you can decorate the photo frame or make an original vase for fruits and sweets.
We hope that our review will help you feel confident in any restaurant of Asian cuisine. After a little training, you can easily use the chopsticks and enjoy the delicious food without being distracted by trifles.