And what are the attractions of Karlovy Vary you know? First of all, this is a well-known health resort city, where about 50 thousand people come every year only to restore their health and vitality. In addition to 12 mineral springs, vacationers are offered such treatments as oxygen therapy, heat treatment and dry carbon dioxide baths. Russian aristocrats and intellectuals came back in the Tsarist times for treatment. At present, Karlovy Vary is not only wonderful balneological procedures, but also well-equipped hotels, and various excursions to the most beautiful places of the city and its surroundings. Let's go with them, too.
- 1 little about Mr.kind
- 2 amazing round: Karlovy Vary attractions
- 3 What to see around?
- 4 Features vacation in Carlsbad
little about the city
It is in the Czech Republic is a beautiful European resort fecal Vary. And all its attractions are located in 130 km from the Czech capital of Prague. Karlovy Vary is a clinic and a resort of stunning beauty.
Historical property of the city - colonnades, spa facilities and natural springs.
According to legend, it is believed that the miraculous springs were discovered by the Czech king Charles I. After the wound, he washed his foot in the healing water and the pain passed. After that, he ordered to build a hunting castle in that place, and the city formed around was named after the king.
At the end of the XVII century, active development of the resort life of the city began. The main mass of tourists were famous and rich guests from different countries. Here came even Peter I.
The best Viennese architects were engaged in building up the city. In the XIX century the resort flourished. After 1989, all hospitals and hotels were privatized.
Here are the known facts about the city:
- most famous hot springs resort. There are 12 healing springs on its territory. The main one, Vrzhidlo, can climb to a height of 12 meters.
- Becherovka, famous throughout the world, first appeared in this city. In its composition there are 42 herbs according to the prescription of the apothecary Josef Becher.
- This is the only city in the Czech Republic where many speak Russian.
- Karlovy Vary is the most comfortable city in the Czech Republic.
- came here by celebrities such as Gogol, Brezhnev, Peter I, Bach, Schiller, Beethoven, Mozart, Paganini and even Casanova.
Tip! The urban surroundings are of great interest for tourists. You can see medieval castles, picturesque canyons and make excursions along well-maintained paths.
amazing round: Karlovy Vary attractions
To get to know Karlovy Vary and attractions of the city, it is worth to get acquainted with numerous photos and descriptions of interesting places.
Since the main attraction is sources, let's start with them.
Unique thermal springs
The entrance to all the colonnades is free, so you can start the inspection from the main source. Indications for spa treatment are, first of all, diseases of the digestive organs, as well as problems with metabolic processes in the body and the locomotor apparatus. There are 125 health resorts on the territory of the city. Guests can combine procedures with walking tours along the 21 routes developed. Also within the resort there are 185 km of bicycle roads and 20 golf courses.
Spa treatment consists of mineral water consumption in, the use of mineral baths, compresses, inhalations andWraps. Also, such methods as massage, physiotherapy and reflex therapy are used.
So, it is worth noting the following balneological facilities:
- hottest and largest source - Hot Spring Colonnade Thermal Spring or .Only he alone can provide all the balneological centers of the city with water. Admission is free and open from 9 to 19 in the morning. Here you can observe the eruptions of the source to a height of 12 meters. Nearby is the Castle Tower, the Church of St. Mary Magdalene and the Theater Square.
- Mill colonnade was created in the 19th century directly for five sources: Mill from radon water, rock, Libushe, Mermaid and Prince Vaclav sources. The colonnade is also designed for walking.
- The market colonnade includes two sources: Charles IV and Market. The source is decorated with a bas-relief depicting the hunting of the famous king.
- Near the hotel Thermal a swimming pool is opened, which is filled by a third from the source of Vřídlo and has a temperature of 30 degrees.
- Under the roof of the , the Garden Colonnade houses the Garden, Snake andSource of freedom.
- The Castle Colonnade houses the Upper and Lower sources.
To go to Karlovy Vary to see the sights and get treatment, it is worthwhile to know that the price for outpatient treatment at a local sanatorium will cost about 6500 kroons per week.
Tip! A map with existing routes can be obtained free of charge in any information or balneological center.
Museums are another famous landmark of this city. It is worth to go to the museum of Jan Becher .Popular tincture Becherovka is considered the 13th source of the city. It is a real symbol of it. The tour of the museum will tell you about the peculiarities of the preparation of this drink. In addition, you can take part in the tasting and buy a set of home.
Another popular object is the Moser glass museum .The profession of glass blowers exists until now, because such a skill can not be replaced by automatic machines. For more than 150 years glassware, vases and wine glasses have been made at the glass factory. Products with the slightest faults do not pass quality control.
In this museum you can see all the details of production, as well as purchase souvenirs.
Another museum that will appeal to all lovers of architecture and history - Karlovy Vary Museum .Here you will find ancient photos, antiques and local archeological excavations.
You can go on an excursion and in the Karlovy Vary Picture Gallery .Here works of artists and sculptors of the Czech Republic, working in the second half of the 20th century, are collected. The gallery often hosts all kinds of exhibitions, as well as concerts and performances. The building itself was built in neoclassical style.
Advice! There are special information centers and tourist offices in the city. They are open from 9 am and 5 pm. In them you can get not only free routes, but also information about the city, about the possibilities of sports and cultural pastime. Also they sell souvenirs, stamps, phone cards, sightseeing tickets. Here you can rent a car or a bicycle. Excursions are also offered.
The best objects of architecture
Studying Karlovy Vary, pay attention to architectural sights that have the most enthusiastic reviews.
Colorful ancient buildings are located along the Tepla river. You can arrange a leisurely walk through the beautiful streets on your own.
Here are the most interesting objects that are worth seeing:
- The city theater , built in neobarochnom style, is an outstanding landmark of the city. Particular attention deserves the curtain, which was painted by talented artists.
- The oldest building is the castle tower .It is the only one preserved after the fire in the castle of Charles IV.
- A wonderful example of Orthodox architecture - Peter and Paul Church .It is built in the style of Russian churches of the XVII century.
- The church of St. Mary Magdalene is designed in the Baroque style. Fine masterpieces of sculpture, architecture and painting can be observed inside the building.
- Interesting point of interest - Grand Hotel Pupp .This remarkable building is not only a masterpiece of architecture, but also known for its famous guests. At the time, the hotel stayed Leo Tolstoy, Kafka and Peter I.
Tip! The cultural life of the city is saturated. In June, the guests of the resort can enjoy the music festival "Mozart and Karlovy Vary", in July - Festival of Early Music and Film Festival in August - Beethoven Days and the festival of student film, in September - Folk Festival, held in October the famous Karlovskaya week.
What to see in the vicinity?
Special attention deserves and attractions near Karlovy Vary. You can travel around the area by car or book a tour of the following places:
- On the Ohře River there is a beautiful lock Loket .
- The Bečov nad Teplí is another ancient defensive castle.
- A wonderful water park is located 20 km from the town of in Klášterec nad Ohře .
- 10 km from Karlovy Vary is the Angel Mountain .There you can see the ruins of a Gothic fortress, as well as enjoy stunning views of nature.
- Svatošské Rocks popular with many tourists because of its unusual shape.
- You can visit the Beer Factory Kruszowice and the brewery in the city of Plzen.
- One of the noteworthy attractions is the observation tower Diana at the peak of the Douba Mountain. Nearby is the Butterfly House , where hundreds of these beautiful creatures live. Also nearby is the mini-zoo and the Elephant restaurant .
Tip! From Karlovy Vary you can go on a one-day excursion to Germany. For example, visit such cities as Bamberg, Dresden or Rottenburg. You can go on a short trip to Vienna and Salzburg. There are excursions for 2-3 days to Switzerland, France or Italy.
Features of recreation in Karlovy Vary
There are several observation platforms and towers on the territory of the city. You can get to them by cable car or by foot.
Here are useful recommendations that are sure to be useful when organizing a holiday:
- When traveling, it is worthwhile to take a bank card or euro with cash. Exchange points in the city provide their services at a very unprofitable exchange rate.
- Recommended long walks around the city and the surrounding area. This can be done not only with the excursion, but also independently.
- You should definitely walk along the main street of the city, where all local artists gather.
- Culinary masterpiece is local sweets - wafers with different fillings.
You can get to Karlovy Vary by plane or from Prague. There are several ways to do this:
- Take a day trip.
- Independently on the bus Student Agency. These yellow buses leave for Karlovy Vary every day. The trip lasts two hours and costs about 5 euros.
- By car, rented, but here you have to spend money on gasoline.
The city of Karlovy Vary offers original excursions. For example, shopping tours to neighboring cities, horseback excursions, fishing on a private lake or even airplane flights over the surroundings.
There are large shopping centers with hypermarkets in the city. One of the major centers is Varada, on the territory of which there is a huge hypermarket and a lot of various shops. Another Fontana complex includes more than 30 shops, as well as a grocery hypermarket, restaurants and cafes on its territory.
Board! As a souvenir it is worth to buy Moser glass, famous wafers, Becherovka tincture, mineral water, costume jewelry from local minerals, Karlovy Vary salt for body cleansing and Karlovy Vary natural cosmetics.
With the proper organization of your trip, you can not only get quality treatment with mineral waters, but also visit the most unique and famous sights of the city and its environs.