Many parents are concerned about the age at which children begin to learn foreign languages. Fluency in English will greatly facilitate the child's future, will allow him to get a prestigious job and get a job in the community.
In this article:
- Why learn English for children
- From what age to teach a child to English
- How to teach a child English at home
Why learn English for children
In the modern world without knowledge of English it's hard to get a good profession and, as a consequence, a high-paidwork. English is foreign literature, the Internet, free communication during travel around the world. Language has long been recognized as international.
Why it is worth starting training from an early age:
- Babies are easier to learn. The brain perceives new information without analyzing the linguistic structure of the language, as it does in adults.
- Children are deprived of fears and fears of failures in learning.
- All information is quickly and easily remembered, which is associated with a constant increase in brain volume at an early age.
- With the right selection of motivation, children will wait with impatience for the next lesson, for them this is an interesting game, while for adults studying foreign is a necessity and a duty.
A solid foundation of knowledge gained from the lessons will help in the future. It has been proven that children who speak several languages from childhood have a broad outlook, communicate better with people.
According to research, people who are fluent in two or more foreign languages are less prone to stress and depression, they are more goal-oriented and intellectually developed.
English is especially important for children whose parents often go abroad. Knowledge of the language helps them become more sociable in an unfamiliar country. The benefit lies in the fact that the child eventually begins to better control the course of his thoughts, make reasonable decisions, and the communication barriers to him will not be terrible.
From what age to teach the child to English
There are different points of view about the early learning of the second language( up to 3 years).Opponents believe that parents are deprived of a crumb of childhood, bypassing such areas as physical development, improving motor skills, improving the Russian.
From the shortcomings of early acquaintance with the second language note:
- Often children confuse languages, which negatively affects the improvement of native speech.
- Difficulties in learning due to the large number of grammatical nuances that take a lot of time from the child.
- If there are problems with speech, English will only worsen the situation, preventing the pronunciation of the desired pronunciation.
- Problems with reading in Russian because of the confusion in the letters of the two languages.
Supporters believe: it is necessary to use the ability of a small child to absorb large amounts of information to the maximum. Kids at the age of 1-2 years easily reproduce even long phrases in English, imitating adults.
The optimal time to study foreign in the opinion of psychologists is 3 years. From this age the baby is able to perceive new information.
However, it's okay if the child is older. Preschoolers and children under 12 years old are well trained, so the maximum effect can be achieved in this period, just different methods and approaches. There is no evidence that children who have learned a foreign language in a year or two are better versed in the nuances of English than those who started learning at 6 or 7 years.
If delayed speech development should be delayed with familiarization with the basics of English. In any case, you need to focus on the individual characteristics of the baby, its development and health.
If you decide to teach a child English at home
It is difficult for young children to concentrate, to focus on complex grammatical rules of foreign language or to memorize a large number of words. However, to help a child with the mastery of the language can be at home. It is recommended to do this through games in English for children.
Invent a game with a girl in dolls that came from another country and only know English. Catching up with the boy, you can play a story with other favorite characters.
The technique of games does not cause discomfort in the baby, it helps to devote a lot of time to learning, to develop new skills. On the Internet, there are many options for amusing applications for mobile devices, which will appeal to the child and help memorize new words.
You can download a variety of audiophiles in a foreign language with songs, rhymes, rhymes, funny verses. After the joint listening you need to make checks: ask for walks to repeat the studied, if necessary, give tips or correct.
Important components of teaching a child to an English home:
- daily conversations;
- viewing cartoons and their further discussion;
- joint games( with the display of different everyday situations);
- reading books with fairy tales and poems;
- listening to discs with puzzles, songs, etc.
Well, if in the family one of the parents speaks the language at a confident level. In this case, you can divide the roles: the mother speaks with the baby in Russian, the father - in English. This is a very effective method, as children quickly become accustomed to the two languages.
It is useful for children to learn a foreign language. This skill not only contributes to the development of logical thinking, but will also help to successfully succeed in life, travel the world without barrier languages, build a brilliant career.